Friday, June 3, 2011

Faith in the Tone

"And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, 'Save us, Lord; we are perishing.' And he said to them, 'Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?' Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm."

I love this story. I love this story so much because of the ramifications it has in our lives. You see the disciples were freaking out. They saw the storm, waves, water in the boat, etc. and they basically were thinking they were toast. Then they went to Jesus who was asleep, that's right, asleep.

Here's what they didn't say, "Jesus (nudging him gently to wake up), we wanted you to know that we are looking forward to seeing you calm this storm and save us all. We know you are the God of the universe and the Messiah and we know this is nothing for you."

You see it's all in the tone. Instead they said, "Save us, Lord; we are perishing." There was something in them that thought Jesus could save them, just not enough to have no fear. Jesus heard it in their tone.

So I've decided I want to have faith in my tone. I want to have no fear, not even in the tone of my voice, because I have Jesus, and worse case scenario I perish and I'm with Him forever. What do I have to fear. The disciples learned this lesson and many of them died because of their faith in Jesus, a far cry from their days in the boat.

No comments: