Monday, May 23, 2011

OBL

So I'm gonna give it a go. I'm going to try to explain whether death should be celebrated or not. It's not gonna be easy because we have a few different things to consider, but it should be fun.

A few weeks ago, as you know, Osama bin Laden was shot and killed by an American soldier. There was more than a few moments where we saw people dancing, singing, and rejoicing in the streets. There were many who thought that this was in poor taste or worse, especially in the Christian community. They got so bent out of shape that it actually put a damper on their day. I found that to be sad.

So what's up? Should we have been rejoicing? Well I guess that depends on which group you are talking about. I'm only going to be talking about two groups here, basically because these are the only two groups I feel educated enough to talk about. ;)

Group One: Those who are agnostic or atheist, in other words there is no belief in God. Why would you not want to celebrate?!? The world had to be considered a little safer after this happened. You could make the case that OBL was not a threat to us holed up in that compound, but I could also make the case that all of the terrorists in the world now have to believe that these forces can find them and will kill them, no questions asked. So any way you slice it there should have been some celebrating going on that night.

Group Two: Christians. I think Christians should have been celebrating as well. Not necessarily in the same way but they should have been rejoicing within themselves that God brought justice and in that more men, women, and children were not going to be killed by this man. And I don't think this is dishonoring to God.

What the Bible says:

Romans 13 1-4, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer."

I can also rejoice because God is right in his Word, and he is a God of justice and love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As usual James, well thought.... I appreciate a guy who has thought through the issue.

with that said....

I disagree in the sense that I do not think Justice was served. Tens and possible hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed by the U.S Government to get him. I have counseled marines time and time again who were commanded to kill innocent people for no good reason. I would argue for a Christian there is no just war. Maybe for there is governments, but Paul reminded us several times that we were not part of the governments of this world. He reaped the benefits of being a Roman citizen and followed it's laws. He even commanded the Roman church to submit to them (Nero was emperor at that time) but he never had Romes interest in mind. He told the Philippians that their citizenship was not of the empire but in heaven.


I do agree with you about atheists.... Why would you care? I would think if there is no God that you would be the most patriotic. So your country stay the most powerful and the wealthiest. If it really is survival of the fittest then celebrate away!

James Pinkerton said...

Thanks for the comment Shawn! I'm not condoning war (that would have to be a completely different post). That's not what this post was about. As a matter of fact I'm not even condoning going into Pakistan to find OBL. My point was that we shouldn't be upset that he was found and that he is no longer on earth. I'm not suggesting that we go and kick everyone's butt for the good ole USA. I'm one of the least patriotic people I know. But is it justice when a man who has killed thousands of people, and was planning on killing even more, is now dead.