Saturday, February 26, 2011

Beauty Instead of Ashes

"To give to them beauty instead of ashes, The oil of joy instead of mourning, A covering of praise for a spirit of weakness" From Isaiah 61:3, Young's Literal Translation.

I was thinking about this for a friend who is going to be getting a tattoo here very soon. Wouldn't this verse, or part of it, make for a great phrase around something like a Celtic Cross. I was thinking maybe a Celtic Cross that looks like ash in the middle and then as it spreads out it becomes a vine with flowers or something else colorful growing from it. It would get more and more beautiful as you spread out to the edges. And then around the cross you can have the phrases, "beauty instead of ashes...", "joy instead of mourning...", "praise for a spirit of weakness..."

Just a thought. Maybe I'll share it. I think I'm going to have to share it now. I hope someday to see it on a friend of mine.

2 comments:

Matt Nash said...

I am getting Emma's name in Chinese tatooed on my right arm this summer. You should take the plunge and get a tat with me Pastor Pink!

James Pinkerton said...

Thinking about it Matt. Something I've been thinking about is getting the Shema in Hebrew on the inside of my right arm, up near my arm pit. Right now it's just a thought. Who knows.