Monday, March 28, 2011

Goodyear Blimp


On our drive to take my father-in-law back to LAX we happened across the Goodyear Blimp touched down off the side of the 405. It was kind of an impressive site. Sheldon said he had never seen the blimp parked before. I was under the impression that there were blimp hangers for these parking jobs.

But as I thought about it I realized that it was a brilliant move on Goodyear's part. The blimp was sitting by the 405 in a grassy field. It had lights shining on it from both directions. Basically it was a huge billboard for Goodyear tires. Instead of storing it away between events now, they get more bang-for-their-buck, so to speak, by parking it off of one of the busiest freeways in the world. And isn't it true that when we all go to buy tires we really want to know how much the Goodyears are?

I then started thinking, because I'm a pastor, about our lives. When I am parked what am I advertising. As Christians, if you are one, shouldn't our lives advertise Christ even in the midst of rest and relaxation. My primary job is a pastor of the Branches Community Church. When I am in other locations and I am resting or playing is Christ what is read on the side of my blimp? (Are you saying you're fat Pink?!? Of course I am, I need to start working on that.) Do people know, in all facets of my life, that I am someone they see Christ in? Isn't that the goal, to let the Holy Spirit write on my life His words?

If you're not a Christian you have a choice as well. In your down time what do you advertise for? People will label you with what they see you doing with the majority of your time. Are you helping, encouraging, and caring for others? Or are you into yourself and your own things.

Some blimps shout keep away! (And no, I'm not calling you fat.) Some blimps say come over to this grassy field and let's hang for a while.

No comments: