Wednesday, March 2, 2011

iPad 2

So the iPad 2 was announced today. Now the only question is which one to buy. Need some help deciding so if you all can give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I actually purchased the first iPad but returned it after 24 hours because I had gotten the Wi-Fi version and our Wi-Fi happened to go out in our house that day. I soon realized without Wi-Fi or 3G this tablet was nothing more really than a coaster. I was also in Indiana in a small town where I didn't even receive 3G service, so buying the plan would have been pointless. So my first question to all of you: Is it worth paying $20/month for 3G? Or, as I am now in So Cal, should I ride with more memory and Wi-Fi only?

The iPad 2 comes in black AND white. Next question: Which color should I go with?

There are three levels of storage space with a $100 increase each level. The levels are 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB. Question three: Should I purchase more memory or is 16 GB sufficient? I don't think I'll be downloading a bunch of music, I'll use my iPhone for that, but we may want some movies stored on there for trips. And I'll use the iPad for books also.

There you have it. Please give me some feed back if you are a tech geek. Even if you're not a tech geek I'd appreciate the input.

5 comments:

Aaron Eikenberry said...

If you are into movies you will want more then 16gig. I was putting low quality full length movies on my phone and they were around a gig each..... and that was a 320px x 240px rez screen! Plus everything rusn slower when the memory is full

I think white looks cooler but gets dirtier faster and you can see scratches more with white.


$20 a month for 3g is $240 a year! that is a TON. If you have wifi at places where you spend most of your time just go with wifi. So figure out where you will use it more and make that desicion.....

ALL THOSE QUESTIONS COME DOWN TO HOW MUCH $$$$$$ YOU HAVE TO SPEND!!!!!

If I were you I would just be a Macbook pro for $1100.


Just my opinion, Hope it helps.

-Aaron Eikenberry

Unknown said...

I am not sure what your primary use will be...but I would go with the most memory and ditch the 3g. If you have a smart phone you should be able to tether the internet to the ipad from your phone or use an existing wi-fi network. The new ones look cool and they are super slick, I just have not found a use to justify getting one. I suppose my everyday tech needs are rather complex and cumbersome, so it would be yet another piece of hardware to what I already carry.

Good luck,

Jonathan

James Pinkerton said...

Thanks guys for the comments. You bring up some valid points. I already own a mac book but it is the only computer in our house and five of us share it. I need another computer but I thought the ipad might be a better solution. Seeing as my kids, my wife and I basically use the computer for entertainment purposes. I do some work on the mac book and it will become more needed as the church really gets going. Plus I wanted to integrate the iPad into our church services, probably with Apple TV. Could be a good fit. The only problem with tethering is it's going to cost $20 a month. I don't think I want to do that for the money. So it's either have 3G for $20/month for the iPad or ditch the 3G.

Coby said...

I don't know anything about the technology, but I like black better than white.

There's the extent of my input, lol.

Compassionate Heathen said...

XOOM!!!!!!! :-)