Friday, March 11, 2011

Really?!?

Did you know that the NFL minimum league salary for 2011 is scheduled to be $340,000? That would be for a first year player. I would go into more stats but I think that one will suffice for my arguments below.

I don't get strikes in professional sports. I understand them for trash men, dock workers, school teachers, etc. but not for professional athletes. I understand having a union when your pay is meager and you need someone to fight for you but I don't understand them when there is a business owner willing to pay hundreds of players millions of dollars to play a game.

What would happen if you went up to the owner of the company you work for and asked him or her to look at all of his financial records? If I did that to the owner I worked for he would probably laugh. I may try that today and see if I'm right.

The bottom line is that the word owner means he owns the business, you don't. And he has every right to give you what he wants in salary or hourly wage. If you don't like it you don't have to work for him. The amount he makes should be inconsequential to you as long as he keeps paying you what he told you he was going to pay you.

So yes, I know that these players could strike because they don't like what they are getting paid, in other words they could quit. But YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! You have a problem with what you are getting paid?!? You get to play a game for a living, one day a week, 16 weeks a year and everyone cheers you on and you have a problem with making $8.5 million?!? Doesn't sound like you should be complaining to me. The NFL owners have the right to be irritated if you ask me, last time I heard they weren't proposing a reduction in pay for anyone.

No comments: