Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rob Bell in His Own Words (Part One)

"Several years ago we had an art show at our church. I had been giving a series of teachings on peacemaking, and we invited artists to display their paintings, poems, and sculptures that reflected their understanding of what it means to be a peacemaker. One woman included in her work a quote from Mahatma Gandhi, which a number of people found quite compelling.

But not everyone.

Someone attached a piece of paper to it.
On the piece of paper was written: "Reality check: He's in hell."

Really?
Gandhi's in hell?
He is?
We have confirmation of this?
Somebody knows this?
Without a doubt?
And that somebody decided to take on the responsibility of letting the rest of us know?

Of all the billions of people who have ever lived, will only a select number 'make it to a better place' and every single other person suffer in torment and punishment forever? Is this acceptable to God? Has God created millions of people over tens of thousands of years who are going to spend eternity in anguish? Can God do this, or even allow this, and still claim to be a loving God?" (Excerpt from "Love Wins" Chapter One)

This is the beginning of Love Wins by Mr. Bell. I'm confused about this opening. Acts 4:12 says, "And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

I know Mr. Bell likes to ask questions, and in the light of the scripture let me answer them for him, or should I say I will let God's words answer them:

Q #1 "Really?" Yes, really, considering that Gandhi was a life long Hindu, if Gandhi repented and confessed with his mouth that Jesus was his Lord before his death, then no he's not in hell he's with God in heaven. Gandhi believed that all religions were roads that led to God. This is contrary to the path of salvation talked about in the Bible.

Q #2 "We have confirmation of this?" If you call the Bible confirmation, then yes, we do have confirmation of this. Again, if he repented and believed that Jesus was his Lord he found salvation.

Q #3 "Somebody knows this?" Yes, I do, I don't like the fact that Gandhi's in hell, but I do know that if he was Hindu and didn't believe that salvation comes from Christ then he is in hell.

Q #4 "Without a doubt?" Yes, to be clear, I believe what Acts 4:12 says. I could also back it up with various other whole sections of scripture.

Q #5 "And that somebody decided to take on the responsibility of letting the rest of us know?" I guess somebody did decide to let the rest of us know. Like I am now. Do I think this was the appropriate response to a peacemaking art show, no. Do I think the person who posted this on the art piece was vindictive, offensive, and maybe even not saved themselves, yes I do. But if someone is going to pose some questions to me, even in a book, I'm going to answer them truthfully and honestly.

Q #6 "Of all the billions of people who have ever lived, will only a select number 'make it to a better place' and every single other person suffer in torment and punishment forever?" Yes, only a select number, "make it to a better place". Only those who find salvation in Christ.

Q #7 "Is this acceptable to God?" Yes, it is. He is Just. Does He want all to come repent and be saved through faith in Christ, yes. Do all repent, no.

Q #8 "Has God created millions of people over tens of thousands of years who are going to spend eternity in anguish?" Simply put, yes. If they don't repent and go God's way.

Q #9 "Can God do this, or even allow this, and still claim to be a loving God?" Yes. There are many things I don't understand about God. But God is loving and just. I don't think it works without both (Although I do think God can do whatever He wants). If He is love and not just is it really love at all. If He is just without love He would just be a judge and not God.

So there are some answers. Before you go dismissing them please understand that I am just using a very clear piece of scripture that Mr. Bell seems to want to ignore. If you are thinking, these are just questions he is posing to make us think. Understand that teachers use questions to teach with, which is what Mr. Bell is doing here. Then ask yourself, what is he trying to teach you?

No comments: